Mechanical Engineering Notes

Mechanical Engineering Notes

Since 2019

INTERNAL COMBUSTION ENGINES & AUTOMOBILE



Syllabus:


INTRODUCTION (02 Hours)
Introduction of I. C. Engines.

ANALYSIS OF AIR STANDARD CYCLES AND FUEL AIR CYLCES (07 Hours)
Air standard cycles, Ideal air standard cycles, Fuel air cycles, Characteristics of fuel - air mixtures, Variation of specific heat. Actual cycles and actual processes taking place in engines.

COMBUSTION IN I.C. ENGINE (07 Hours)
Combustion in S.I. Engine and C.I. Engines: Stages of combustion in S.I. Engine, Detonation and its Control of detonation. Stages of combustion in C.I. Engines, Delay period, Factor s influencing delay period, Diesel knock, Control of diesel knock.

ELEMENTS OF FUEL SYSTEM IN S.I. ENGINE (07 Hours)
Requirements of a good carburetor, Simple carburetor, Complex carburetor, Calculation of air -fuel ratio for a simple carburetor. Electronic fuel injection in S.I. Engine.

ELEMENTS OF FUEL SYSTEM IN C.I. ENGINE (03 Hours)
Requirements of Diesel Injection System, Types of injection systems, Fuel pumps.

LUBRICATION AND COOLING SYSTEM (03 Hours)
Lubrication and cooling system of I. C. Engine: Functions and Types.

TESTING AND PERFORMANCE OF I. C. ENGINE (05 Hours)
Testing and performance of S. I. Engine & C. I. Engine

ENGINE EMISSIONS AND CONTROL (02 Hours)
Pollutants and their ill effects, Pollutants from Gasoline and Diesel Engines and their control.

MODERN DEVELOPMENTS IN I C ENGINES (02 Hours)
Alternate fueled engines, Alcohol, hydrogen etc.

TRANSMISSION SYSTEM OF AUTOMOTIVE VEHICLE (07 Hours)
Types & its components and Braking and Suspension system of automotive vehicle, Function of Steering systems and their types, Electrical systems of automotive vehicle, Chasis, Wheels, Types of tyres, Functions of tyres, Tread design etc.

(Total Lecture Hours: 45 +Tutorial Hrs: 15)



PRACTICALS
1. S. I. & C.I. Engine System
2. Valve Timing Diagram and Port Timing Diagram
3. Morse Test
4. A Constant Speed Load Test
5. Heat Balance Test on a 4-Stroke Diesel Engine
6. Transmission System of Automobile
7. Principle of Steering
8. Wheel Alignment and Wheel Balancing of automobile vehicle.
9. Ignition and brake system.

BOOKS RECOMMENDED
1. Ganeshan V., “Internal Combustion Engines”, McGraw Hill, New Delhi, 2007.
2. Heywood J.B., “Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals” McGraw Hill, Singapore, 2002.
3. H.N. Gupta, “Fundamentals of Internal Combustion Engines”, Prentice Hall India, 2006.
4. Shyam K. Agrawal, “Internal Combustion Engines” New Age International Ltd., New Delhi, 2006.
5. Narang G.B.S., “Automobile Engineering”, Khanna Publishers, New Delhi, 2002.
6. Mathur M.L. and Sharma R.P., “A Course in Internal Combustion Engines”, Dhanpat Rai & Sons, 1992.

Useful Links:

Post a Comment

0 Comments